Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Magic Of Becoming American

A French friend became an American citizen this week. She wrote this emotional email, which reads like a legacy to the hopes this country brings to immigrants from around the world:
Wow! Today I became an American Citizen. Today and for the first time after being an Alien for 29 years, I am able to say that I am proud to be an American. It's the link between the old and the new world that I found marvelous and so proud to be part of. All of you my family and my friends, you know that I am a worldly person able to connect with anyone around the planet and today at the Naturalization Ceremony. I was seated with 3000 people originally from 77 different countries. That's to me already fascinating! Next to me a Cuban young lady who escaped what she called a totalitarian regime, a cool Jamaican boy (without his dreadlocks), an excited screaming Brazilian woman, a cute Hungarian chick and more, all of them with the same dream: to make a better life for themselves and their families. I felt a huge admiration and tenderness for all these immigrants who left behind their loved ones and their culture for freedom, to get an education (some were illiterate when they touch the US land), to be treated equally or simply to have food on their table. Above all, let's not forget that WE ARE LIVING IN A BEAUTIFUL WORLD. Cheers and much Love to all of you.
Congratulations, l'amerloque!