Thursday, March 1, 2007

They Ain't Walking In L.A.

The 14-block walk from the local college to our beach pad is a pure pleasure -- strolling through the quiet residential streets, and taking the time to admire the old craftsman's cottages, converted dingbats and beautifully tended gardens.
But is it a thing only weirdos and vagrants do? Today, a police car came cruising by. The officer rolled down his window:
- You live here?
- Yes.
- On this street?
- No, but I live in Santa Monica.
- Have any I.D.?
- Yes. [driver's license]
- Where you're from?
- France.
- You're legal here?
- Yes. [copy of green card]
- What are you doing on this street?
- I'm just walking home from the college.
- Where do you live?
- [address]
- You always walk home?
- Most often.
- Wow, that's a long walk.
- [?]
- That a French thing?
- What?
- Walking.
- I don't know. I don't think so.
- Well, well [seizing me up]. You have a good day, Ma'am.
- You, too.
I guess I passed the guilty look test. I'll keep walking.
photo LA Frog