Sunday, September 10, 2006

Classic Gaffe

I was doing my regular routine at the pool the other day. This guy walked in, late 40s, nondescript, yet with the unmistakable Euro-look: dandy swagger, designer moule-boules, towel negligently thrown over the shoulder, Italian sunglasses. He checked all the warning and advisory boards around the pool -- a telltale sign he was not a local.
Turns out dandy-o was a frog. He picked the lane I was swimming in; no problem, plenty of room. After a couple of laps, and as we were crossing each other, I heard him growl between his teeth, "Pourquoi elle se casse pas cette conne?!" I replied with humor and an exquisite smile, "Benh la conne, elle a pas l'intention d'se casser tout d'suite." *

I didn't see his immediate reaction because I kept on swimming. But for the next half hour and every time our eyes met, he would have the most goofy, Wile E. Coyote "oops - ravine" grin on his face. It was difficult not to laugh at the situation and at his pathetic, beat-up look. Oh well...c'est la vie!

Attention travelers: this is a classic gaffe. Never assume that because you're in a foreign country, people don't understand what you say or what you're up to. I keep meeting frogs in L.A., whose cultural oblivion just makes them look like ugly froggies -- the same way I met my share of ugly Americans in France. Empathy and discretion are a safer bet.
[* "Why doesn't the stupid bitch bugger off?!" - "Well, the stupid bitch doesn't intend to bugger off right away."]
illustration Google Images/Wile E. Coyote

1 comment:

imagined-community said...

Yes, I agree. And a warning not only to travelers, but anyone speaking a language that is not the dominant language in any given country -- even if the language is not widely spoken outside of the country of origin. You never know when that unassuming, geeky person sitting next to you is fluent in language X. It can be rather embarrassing for the hapless listener, because sometimes people say things they wouldn't want a stranger to hear : )