Thursday, July 27, 2006

Bumper Conversations

Bumper stickers. An intriguing local phenomenon. In a city defined by car culture, they seem to be the way people communicate with each other. No "room" for chit chat in traffic, so bumper stickers take over the "conversation". Most are simply funny, but some openly advertise personal opinion -- political, religious or other.
To a frog, they're especially fascinating. In this politically correct country, people are usually reluctant to express their personal convictions in social conversations, even in close circles. Yet, they have no problem expressing them to complete strangers on their cars.

In France -- an opinionated society where debate is a raison-d'être --, people would hesitate to express themselves so openly to the rest of the world. This is yet another example of the differing perceptions of "public-private" between the two cultures. [related]
photos LA Frog

5 comments:

With Love, Fat Girl said...

One of my professors in university lived in Paris for a couple of years, he said the biggest culture difference he noted among French and North American women was that the French never touched their faces.

I thought this was strange, until I realized that while I was thinking, I was leaning my chin on my hand.

LA Frog said...

That's a very interesting comment -- never realized that. I always thought that the French were more "touchy". I constantly have to watch myself here and in the UK because, being French/Latin, I have a tendency to touch people and make gestures to express my feelings. I don't know about the face, though. Will have to take a 24-hour survey and report ;)

With Love, Fat Girl said...

French, and Europeans in general are definitely more "touchy feely," I will never argue with that, especially after freaking out several of my canadien roomates years back.

The French, according to my prof, have more etiquette than most and therefore, do not touch their faces a lot. At least the women. I guess there aren't many runny noses in paris, non? :)

LA Frog said...

You know, I still don't get this "touch face" thing. I certainly touch mine! Yet, etiquette is definitely a big thing in France. In a previous post, I mentioned 3 really good books (beyond ther usual peter Mayle/Adam Gopnick boring clichés): http://losangelesfrog.blogspot.com/2006/07/privacy-matters.html#links
They're definitely worth the read. I learned a lot of "reverse info" about my own country.

Anonymous said...

Great bumperstickers, thanks for visiting us at the Third Street
Promenade.